Sunday, August 26, 2012

FINISHED!! (in the rain)

We have completed our hike of the Colorado Trail.  We pushed 15 miles for the last 5 days to finish a day early (on Friday the 24th).  Although we had great weather for most of the trail the last 5 days were tough.  It was cloudy and rainy almost all day, which made it cold and didn't allow our stuff to dry.  Luckily it was the end of our journey!

The journey was so much harder than I anticipated.  6 days in at our first resupply I didn't think we had a chance in hell of finishing....42 days later we managed the impossible.  The hiking actually got a lot better after Leadville with my new shoes and our bodies finally adjusting to life on the trail.  We had some beautiful campsites and it was amazing how rapidly the scenery changed.  The CT was in remarkably great shape for the entire 485 miles, and we ran into a dozen or so other thru-hiking groups.  Hopefully over the next few days we can sort through all the photos and get some more posted to the site.

CT Facts:
485 miles (we only hikes 450 because we drove from Frisco to Leadville for my feet to recover)
48 days (within our estimate of 40-50 when we started)
3 pairs of shoes for Julie (third times a charm I guess)
1 14er summit (we had 6 on the original schedule, obviously I had no idea what I was doing)
80,000+ feet of elevation change (more exact details when Adam loads all the GPS data)



10 days until we leave for the East coast and 20 til Iceland!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice beard Adam! Sounds like you saw some incredible sights. I'm sure Julie was dragging your sorry butt all the way. I would not have made it riding a horse!

    ReplyDelete